Hello TPM members,
This week, the Treasury Department did what it long suggested it may do and formally refused to comply with Democrats’ subpoena for President Trump’s tax returns.
Looking ahead to next week, this fight could be headed to court: House Ways and Means Committee Chair Richard Neal said he plans to challenge the move.
For other investigations into Trump, check out Nicole Lafond’s weekly primer. Here’s what else happened in prime this week.
- At the NRA, money flows in all directions.
- The story of one particularly swampy Trump tweet.
- The Census Bureau put out new research on how a citizenship question will affect the survey.
- A reporter got his hands on a salacious death report. Then the police smashed down his door with a sledgehammer.
- This week saw the first hearing in Trump’s lawsuit challenging a House committee’s subpoena of his accounting firm. Here’s whats next.
- A state-by-state look at restrictive abortion laws’ path to the Supreme Court.
- Are pundits too bullish on Biden? Cam Joseph takes a look.
- Devin Nunes may have filed his lawsuit in the wrong state.
- Here’s who will replace Rod Rosenstein.
- How worried should we be about John Bolton and this whole Iran thing? Josh Marshall weighs in.
- The GOP has been raising money with forms that claim to be a “census.”
- The sad story of Democratic primary candidate Bill de Blasio and Charlotte the groundhog.